Elevator buttons

LAUR Repository

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.author Nawas, Tarek
dc.contributor.author Kassir, Ranim
dc.date.accessioned 2018-12-11T12:11:55Z
dc.date.available 2018-12-11T12:11:55Z
dc.date.copyright 2018 en_US
dc.date.issued 2018-12-11
dc.identifier.issn 2000-007X en_US
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/10725/9867
dc.description.abstract The isolation of many potential pathogens from many sources commonly used by the public, raised awareness on needed measures to avoid such a hidden danger. In this study another commonly used surface, namely the elevator buttons of public elevators located in the busy Ras Beirut area in Beirut, the capital of Lebanon, were studied for bacterial contamination. Eight of the 12 public elevators sampled (67%) grew more than one bacterium, the buttons of the remaining 4 elevators (33 %) grew only one bacterial organism. The isolated organisms included: coagulase-negative staphylococci isolated from the buttons of 75 % of the sampled elevators, Staphylococcus aureus from 67 %, Klebsiella pneumoniae (sub sp. pneumoniae 1) from 17 %, Enterobacter aerogenes from 8 %, and Rahnella aquatilis also from 8 %. Due to the frequency of use of public elevators, people usually do not note the threat posed by these elevators. As hands remain the major method of transmission of pathogenic bacteria, this study concludes that elevator buttons can be dangerous fomites that can harbor pathogenic bacteria from carriers as much as they can be dangerous fomites that spread serious agents of disease. en_US
dc.language.iso en en_US
dc.title Elevator buttons en_US
dc.type Article en_US
dc.description.version Published en_US
dc.title.subtitle an unrealized potential health hazard en_US
dc.author.school SAS en_US
dc.author.idnumber 198029370 en_US
dc.author.department Natural Sciences en_US
dc.description.embargo N/A en_US
dc.relation.journal International Journal of Academic Health and Medical Research (IJAHMR) en_US
dc.journal.volume 2 en_US
dc.journal.issue 5 en_US
dc.article.pages 1-5 en_US
dc.keywords Elevator buttons en_US
dc.keywords Health awareness en_US
dc.keywords Potential pathogens en_US
dc.keywords Staphylococcus aureus en_US
dc.keywords Enterobacteriaceae en_US
dc.identifier.ctation Kassir, R., & Nawas, T. (2018). Elevator Buttons: An Unrealized Potential Health Hazard. International Journal of Academic Health and Medical Research, 2(5), 1-5. en_US
dc.author.email tnawas@lau.edu.lb en_US
dc.identifier.tou http://libraries.lau.edu.lb/research/laur/terms-of-use/articles.php en_US
dc.identifier.url http://ijeais.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/IJAHMR180501.pdf en_US
dc.author.affiliation Lebanese American University en_US

Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Search LAUR

Advanced Search


My Account