Effect of cycling and thermal control on the storage and dynamics of a 40-L monolithic adsorbed natural gas tank

LAUR Repository

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.author Prosniewski, Matthew
dc.contributor.author Rash, Tyler
dc.contributor.author Romanos, Jimmy
dc.contributor.author Gillespie, Andrew
dc.contributor.author Stalla, David
dc.contributor.author Knight, Ernest
dc.contributor.author Smith, Adam
dc.contributor.author Pfeifer, Peter
dc.date.accessioned 2019-10-10T08:06:48Z
dc.date.available 2019-10-10T08:06:48Z
dc.date.copyright 2019 en_US
dc.date.issued 2019-10-10
dc.identifier.issn 1873-7153 en_US
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/10725/11402
dc.description.abstract Adsorbed natural gas systems have been proposed as a cost-effective storage alternative to compressed and liquefied natural gas. This has led many groups to search and design sorbent materials with large methane storage capacities since natural gas is approximately 90% methane. The other 10% of natural gas contains larger hydrocarbons which can decrease the useable storage capacity of adsorbent systems. In this work, the effect of large hydrocarbons on the storage and dynamics of a 40-L adsorbed natural gas system, containing 20.5 kg of monolithic carbon adsorbent, produced by the University of Missouri, is reported. It was found that over the course of 20 cycles, due to the retention of 1.9 kg of non-methane components by the monoliths, the useable volumetric storage dropped 16%, and the amount of gas delivered dropped 10%. A second cycling experiment found that by using thermal control while the system discharged, the mass retention decreased to 0.91 kg, and the useable volumetric storage and delivered mass only dropped 7% and 5%, respectively. The effects of the mass retention, storage loss, and thermal control on the system’s charge and discharge dynamics were then analyzed to provide a complete picture of the long-term effects of cycling large scale adsorbed natural gas systems with and without active thermal control. en_US
dc.language.iso en en_US
dc.title Effect of cycling and thermal control on the storage and dynamics of a 40-L monolithic adsorbed natural gas tank en_US
dc.type Article en_US
dc.description.version Published en_US
dc.author.school SAS en_US
dc.author.idnumber 201306300 en_US
dc.author.department Natural Sciences en_US
dc.description.embargo N/A en_US
dc.relation.journal Fuel en_US
dc.journal.volume 244 en_US
dc.article.pages 447-453 en_US
dc.keywords Adsorption en_US
dc.keywords Natural gas en_US
dc.keywords Cycling en_US
dc.keywords Thermal control en_US
dc.identifier.doi https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2019.02.022 en_US
dc.identifier.ctation Prosniewski, M., Rash, T., Romanos, J., Gillespie, A., Stalla, D., Knight, E., ... & Pfeifer, P. (2019). Effect of cycling and thermal control on the storage and dynamics of a 40-L monolithic adsorbed natural gas tank. Fuel, 244, 447-453. en_US
dc.author.email jimmy.romanos@lau.edu.lb en_US
dc.identifier.tou http://libraries.lau.edu.lb/research/laur/terms-of-use/articles.php en_US
dc.identifier.url https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0016236119302261 en_US
dc.orcid.id https://orcid.org/0000-0002-5408-1657 en_US
dc.author.affiliation Lebanese American University en_US

Files in this item

Files Size Format View

There are no files associated with this item.

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Search LAUR

Advanced Search


My Account